A good friend of mine, who is also a well respected pastor, recently shared the post below from another source on his Facebook page.
The post perfectly articulated my personal feelings as well which led to my decision to walk away from viewing and supporting all pro sports teams and players who have decided to become political activists on the field of play instead of just playing the game the way it was always meant to be played!
Although this post only focuses on the NFL, I personally choose to include the NBA, WNBA, MLB, and MLS just to name a few others.
Therefore, I am doing what the writer proposed readers of his post do: “Pass this post along to all your friends and family, if you believe it worthy of sharing.”
I too believe it is worthy of sharing!
“Some Folks Have Come to Despise the NFL…
For fans who follow the sport, most of this will be a simple reminder of things you already know. For the rest, it’s a wake-up call:
- In 2012 the NFL had an issue with Tim Tebow kneeling before each game to pray, they also had an issue with Tebow wearing John 3:16 as part of his eye-black to avoid glare, and made him take it off.
- In 2013 the NFL fined Brandon Marshall for wearing green cleats to raise awareness for people with mental health disorders.
- In 2014 Robert Griffin III (RG3) entered a post-game press conference wearing a shirt that said “Know Jesus Know Peace” but was forced to turn it inside out by an NFL uniform inspector before speaking at the podium.
- In 2015 DeAngelo Williams was fined for wearing “Find the Cure” eye-black for breast cancer awareness.
- In 2015 William Gay was fined for wearing purple cleats to raise awareness for domestic violence. (Not that the NFL has a domestic violence problem!).
- In 2016 the NFL prevented the Dallas Cowboys from wearing a decal on their helmet in honor of 5 Dallas Police Officers killed in the line of duty.
- In 2016 the NFL threatened to fine players who wanted to wear cleats to commemorate the 15th anniversary of 9/11.
So tell me again how the NFL supports free speech and expression. It seems quite clear based on these facts that the NFL has taken a position against any action by NFL players demonstrating RESPECT for any issue: For God, social causes such as mental health, cancer, domestic violence, for cops killed arbitrarily, for being cops, or for the Memory of 9/11…
BUT they will allow demonstrations of DISRESPECT for our National Flag, our National Anthem, for America, and for the American People, if it will help mollify a particular Group and its supporters.
That is who and what the NFL now has shown itself to be.
Pass this post along to all your friends and family, if you believe it worthy of sharing.
Honor our military; too many of whom have come home with the American Flag draped over their coffin.”
As for me and my family. . .we will always stand for our flag and our National Anthem, which should be the ONLY anthem sung at any event, and we will kneel ONLY at the feet of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
So, where have all our heroes gone? The good news is they are still among us just wearing different kinds of uniforms.
GOD BLESS AMERICA, and all the real American heroes who don’t play games but actually work tirelessly putting their lives on the line every day to insure America remains THE LAND OF THE FREE AND THE HOME OF THE BRAVE:
- Our Military
- Police Officers
- Fire Fighters
- Doctors, Nurses, EMT’s, and all other healthcare providers
- All other First Responders who mostly go unnoticed and unappreciated
See you next week for more Wisdom Matters!